Austria - Traveling
Organizing your trip
Means of transport recommended in town
Vienna has a well-developed system of metro, bus, light rail and tramway services. Most routes have a flat fare, and there are pre-purchase multi-journey tickets and passes. The Vienna Card entitles visitors to 72 hours of unlimited travel by subway, bus and tram within four days. The classic way to travel round the capital is by horse-drawn carriage(Fiaker); fares should be agreed in advance.
There are bus systems in all the other main towns, and also tramways in Linz, Innsbruck and Graz, and trolleybuses in Linz, Innsbruck and Salzburg.
Means of transport recommended in the rest of the country
|Name||Type||Domestic flights||International flights|
Traveling by yourself
- Cars must be driven with lights throughout the year. Seat belts must be worn and children under the age of 12 and under 150cm (4ft 11in) tall may not sit in the front seat unless a special child's seat has been fitted.
- All cars must have a first-aid kit and a warning triangle. All motorists must also carry high-visibility waistcoats and wear them whenever outside their vehicle on an Austrian roads.
- Both driver and passenger on a motorcycle must wear helmets.
- All road signs are in German language.
- It is compulsory to stick a road tax disc on the windscreen that you can buy at the border in order to be able to drive on highways.
Different forms of tourism
The medieval city Retz has subterranean wine-cellars, well-restored medieval city walls, windmills and a Dominican church.
- The city of Salzburg is famous for its festival and as a place where numerous artists and writers lived.
- The numerous ski resorts in the Austrian Alps. - Wachau cultural landscape.
- Semmering railway.
- Wachau cultural landscape.
For further information visit Austria info
Austria has some of the best crystal-clear lakes in the world which include Wörthersee, Wolfgangsee, Traunsee, Hallstättersee and Mondsee, one of the warmest lakes in the Salzkammergut.
Carinthia's lakes reach temperatures of around 28°C (82°F) and win awards for their water quality.
Visit this link.
Donau City Kirche
Health and safety
Rabies vaccination for travelers involved in any activities that might bring them into direct contact with bats.
Time difference and climate
- Wiener Schnitzel: It is a traditional dish of bread crumbed and fried veal escalope.
- Tafelspitz: It is regarded as Austria's national dish and consists simply of boiled beef.
- Palatschinken: These are Austrian pancakes.
- Apfelstrudel: It is the classic Austrian pudding.
- Mehlspeisen: It is the national term for cakes and puddings. There are around 60 varieties of Torte, which is often consumed with coffee.
- Local wines: Good quality and cheap. Mainly while wine is consumed, particularly RieslingandVeltliner are well-known.
- Obstler: This drink is made by distilling various fruits. It is usually very strong, well-flavored and cheap.
Yes = Ja No = Nein
Thank you = Danke
Hello = Guten Tag
Good Morning= Guten Morgen
Goodbye, Goodbye = Auf Wiedersehen
I do not understand = Ich verstehe nicht
What is the price? How much does it cost? = Wieviel kostet das?
I would like to buy = Ich möchte kaufen.
Do you accept credit cards? = Akzeptieren Sie Kreditkarten? Nehmen Sie Kreditkarten?
Where is ... ? = Wo ist...?
An airport = der Flughafen
The station = der Bahnhof
Post office = die Post
The bank = die Bank
The police station, the police force = Polizeiwache
The chemist= die Apotheke
One ticket to..., please. = Eine Fahrkarte nach,
Would you have any available rooms for tonight ? = Haben Sie noch ein Zimmer frei?.