Bakery and Confectionery: Excessive Overtime Hours and Hour Averaging
Provided by the International Finance Corporation
Bakery and Confectionery Facility, China
A baking facility in
Non-payment of overtime work at premium rate
- Develop organization’s policy on remuneration and working hours; communicate policy to workers, supervisors and managers
- Remunerate workers for their regular and overtime working hours based on regulatory requirements and industry norms; all overtime should be limited, voluntary and be paid at premium rate
- Provide training to managers and supervisors on production planning
- Consider operating two shifts to meet demands of fluctuating schedules and production requirements
- Engage with customers and suppliers and agree on systematic planning to minimize uncertainties in demand of products and supply of raw materials
- Provide workers with periodic and clear records of pay calculations including worked overtime and received compensation
Retroactively compensate for overtime work at the established overtime rate
Copyright © 2000 - 2017, International Finance Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
2121 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20433, www.ifc.org
The material in this work is copyrighted. Copying and/or transmitting portions or all of this work without permission may be a violation of applicable law. IFC does not guarantee the accuracy, reliability or completeness of the content included in this work, or for the conclusions or judgments described herein, and accepts no responsibility or liability for any omissions or errors (including, without limitation, typographical errors and technical errors) in the content whatsoever or for reliance thereon.