Introducing Resource Efficiency Strategies to Small Businesses
Content provided by PREMAnet, content partner of SME Toolkit
The promotion of resource efficiency is a powerful strategy for sustainable business success. Through the reduction of energy or water consumption, as well as through a reduced amount of waste generated in the production processes, companies can:
- Reduce costs of production and improve resource efficiency.
- Improve environmental performance.
- Enhance organisational capabilities of employees.
The following case studies show how SMEs all over the world have taken meaningful action to reduce costs, increase productivity and satisfy clients while at the same time reducing business risks and protecting the environment.
Learn how companies have successfully promoted different aspects of environmental management and have at the same time reduced their production costs. All companies have successfully participated in a Profitable Environmental Management Training.
Reducing Energy Consumption
- The advantage of energy saving bulbs
- Freezer closed - energy saved
- Cutback in electricity consumption through employees’ awareness
Eliminating Hazardous Products
- Cost savings through the improvement of the storage of chemicals
- Material savings by reducing over-spraying
- Control of the transport of chemicals to reduce costs and risks
- Restructuring of maintenance plan for the incineration plant of hospital, industrial and hazardous waste
Improving Health and Safety
- Quality improvement through the implementation of a simple system of improved lighting
- Electrical hazard reduction by reorganization of electrical power room
Ensuring Resource Efficiency
- Reducing loss of materials by rearranging the storage area
- Reduction of solid waste through the saving of input materials for the developing and fixing of films
- Reducing costs and waste by optimizing the capacity of the dry cleaning equipment
- Reduced consumption of detergent and other inputs
- Reducing operational costs through change in firewood purchasing pattern
- Cutback in production costs through reduction of raw material
- Reuse of wood to create new products
Minimizing Waste and Waste Water
- Reusing materials leads to economic and environmental benefits
- Reuse of materials reduces costs and environmental impact
- Installation of a flow meter and dispensing of chemical supplies for processing
- Reducing waste dumped into city landfill through waste sorting
- Implementation of an integrated management plan for solid waste
Decreasing Water Consumption
Copyright © 2016 PREMAnet. All rights reserved.